11 November 2011

shades of autumn: brown

The beautiful blogs Bumbles & Light, Live & Love Out Loud and Project Alicia are hosting a photography challenge based around the shades of autumn. You can find out all the details by clicking on the button below.



Shades of Autumn Photo Challenge

At only 70-ish miles from the equator there's no traditional northern hemisphere change in the seasons here in Singapore. I thought this might be an interesting exercise in sharing the shades of a tropical Asian autumn; lush, vibrant and dripping with sweat colour.

I managed to post last week's purple pictures from the departures lounge in Changi airport, and in the intervening days we have been experiencing serious culture shock in Hong Kong. Hence the radio silence; I apologise profusely for not applauding all the lovely purple posts last week. Normal service will now be resumed!

So here are some of the browns to be seen in Singapore this autumn, plus one from Hong Kong.

Little India shophouses

ramshackle roofs

a shade of brown that makes my life managable

and people say Singapore's too slick and squeaky clean. I love this textured street.

a thoughtful macaque by the path on a jungle walk

our favourite coffee/babycino spot, Loysel's Toy at Kampong Bugis

Singaporean cafes are big on latte art, this is one of the cutest we've seen so far at Forty Hands in Tiong Bahru

in my opinion all the best cocktail bars,like Speakeasy on Blair Road, contain cats

a beautiful, if rather redundant, chain

ironmongery, Hong Kong style

See my green, yellow, orange, red and purple photos from previous weeks here!

19 comments:

  1. Really stunning photography. I was in Singapore about 5 years ago and loved it but to see it from a natives eye is wonderful. I also LOVE that latte angel!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you chose excellent browns! Love the texture of the roofs and that peeling brown paint, the rusted chain, and oh, the coffee!
    The monkey shot made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that last photo and the textured street one (can you tell I like textures and abstract photos yet?!)

    In answer to your comment on my blog - thanks for the glasses love! I got them from glassesdirect.co.uk - with the fabulous name "GD533" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love brown, Singapore/Hong Kong style! Very creative...and those naturally textured shots are extra special! Especially the iron bars...really loved that one <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots! It seems like brown was in abundance for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the textures of brown that you captured. Can't wait to see what you have up for next week's White.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All so unique and beautiful in their own right. Really love the bicycle shot! Thanks so much for joining us for brown week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the Macaque looks so wise, that's a great shot! oh and I LOVE the coffee cup design..so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like these pics! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful beautiful photos, why have I never noticed all these living in Singapore? I do agree, Singapore's too slick, I really like all the hidden bits of "ugly" "dirty" walls and buildings. Sometimes when I turn into an old street, I get so taken by the beauty of the untouched walls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos! I love the bike photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you've found so much beautiful brown, love the coffee and macaque.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these, especially the photo of the fan and the lazy cat! Thanks for joining us again in the Shades of Autumn Photo Challenge. Next week's theme will be WHITE. Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, love all of your brown shots! That latte looks so Delish! And the monkey is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are lovely! I cannot believe how artistic coffee can be! That last one really draws me in and makes me want to take in all the different shapes and details! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are ace! I love the cat one and the last one the best. I am blown away by the angel on the coffee - how is that possible????

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun getting a picture with your coffee! Awesome photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the latte angel. I want one of those!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...