16 March 2012

project 52: the "eyes" of march

In November 2009, in the pitch dark of a Winter afternoon, my toddler and I prepared some pots in anticipation of Spring. Tiny white tulip bulbs, white daffodils and three hellebore plants. Dressed in her fleecy jumpsuit, mittens and hat, my two-year-old patted down the soil over the bulbs and coined a phrase that I will now use for ever when planting bulbs, saying that she was "tucking the flowers in to bed for the Winter". By the time Spring arrived, we were on our way to the other side of the world at the start of our tropical adventures, so we never did get to see the pot waking up.

Three Springs later, The Boss is a leggy wisecracker who has completely forgotten that lovely cold, dark afternoon, in fact she's forgotten that afternoons can be cold and dark. But on arriving home from the airport she immediately decided to go and pick me some flowers. Turns out that those hellebores (or aptly-known "Lenten roses") are the first and only flowers in the garden at the moment, so that's what she brought me. If you've ever seen them, you'll know that hellebores have beguiling eyes that you can spend ages peering into. Hence they're my subject for p52, the "eyes" of March.

ISO200, f/10, 1/25s, macro filter on 50mm lens, cloudy WB
auto curves applied in photoshop
a bit fuzzy - that might have been me shivering...


project 52 p52 weekly photo challenge my3boybarians.com

12 comments:

  1. Awesome. Great shot, and love the story. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very sweet of your daughter! :) I've never seen this flower before (I don't think), so thanks for sharing. It's a lovely shot and makes me excited for spring! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the wild varieties are native to Europe and perhaps mainland China (could be wrong!). Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Such a cool picture! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one gorgeous photo!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have your seasons back! Hmm, I'd love a macro lens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love a real macro lens too, but for now this cheapo filter will have to do - it's got very obvious limitations - it's only possible to get one very small (shallow? narrow?) point in focus if you're lucky, no matter how hard you try. But it's quite fun none the less.

      Delete
  6. Lovely. I also did a close-up of a blossom. Never heard of this particular flower but I live in Florida and they may not grow here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's probably too warm in Florida for this little beauty!

      Delete
  7. I love the detail and color! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...